Friday, November 28, 2014

Opt Out Letters/Forms

Opt Out letters provided below for: 
  • PSSA's/Keystone Exams
  • Computer Assessments (Study Island, CDT's) 
  • COPPA information for students 12 years old and younger
  • Refuse the PBA for class of 2017 and beyond
____________________________________________________________________________

Opt Out Request for PSSA's and Keystone Exam
This can be sent anytime during the school year.

Dear Superintendent:

Pursuant to  Pennsylvania Code Title 22 Chapter 22 Chapter 4, section 4.4 (d)(4) I am hereby exercising my right as a parent to have my child, [NAME], excused from PSSA/Keystone testing because of religious beliefs.

Sincerely,
_______________________________________________________________________

After Review Letter:
Parents will need to review the PSSA during the two weeks prior to their administration.  This letter can be submitted at the time of the review or soon thereafter.  This request cannot be denied.

Dear Superintendent:

On [DATE] I had the opportunity to review the PSSA/Keystone test and pursuant to Pennsylvania Code Title 22 Chapter 22 Chapter 4, section 4.4 (d)(4) I am hereby exercising my right as a parent to have my child, [NAME], excused from PSSA/Keystone testing because of religious beliefs.

Sincerely,
__________________________________________________________________________
Opt Out Letter for Computer Programs and Online Assessments 
Dear Superintendent/Principal/Teacher(s):


I am writing to inform you that [my child] be excused from all CDT, Study Island and any other computer assessments and programs.  I request paper/pencil assessments only.  If there is a computerized assessment or program my [son/daughter] must take, I require prior parental informed consent and an anonymous student login where [his/her] name or student ID is not attached.



After much research regarding common core, Pennsylvania’s statewide longitudinal data system and its collection and sharing requirements, I have become even more suspicious and skeptical on the state's ability to secure data.  Since my daughter is not of legal age to legally bind herself to ownership of her personal data, that responsibility falls on her parents.  Since the Pennsylvania Department of Education will not allow me to opt her out of the increasingly invasive data collection through PIMS I will remove her from the means for data collection.  

I am sure you can appreciate my desire to protect my daughter from the possibility of identity theft at an early age.  While I do have concerns with the educational value of the Common Core aligned CDT and Study Island assessments, my biggest concern with electronic assessments is data collection and privacy of my minor child. 

Sincerely,


The Children’s Online Privacy Protecting Act (COPPA)

For students age 12 and younger, please read the information provided at: UNITED OPT OUT regarding COPPA.

“The Children’s Online Privacy Protecting Act (COPPA) allows parents to control what information is collected online from their children twelve and under. Therefore, as a parent, you have a right to find out what information is being collected, you can review what information is being collected, and you can REFUSE to allow your child to participate in the online program.  You can simply opt your child out of the program – or the online test.”


Letter for student in the class of 2017 and beyond to opt out of the Keystone exams and refuse the PBA:


Dear Superintendent;
Pursuant to Pennsylvania Code Title 22 Chapter 4, section 4.4 (d)(4) I am hereby exercising my right as a parent to have [student name], excused from Keystone testing because of religious beliefs.
I am also writing to respectfully inform you that [student name], under my guardianship and advice, will be refusing to take any of the project-based assessments.  Please note that this means she will not be scheduled in a remedial PBA class at any time and should remain in her core and elective classes throughout the school year.  You DO NOT have my parental permission to administer the PBA to my minor child, [student name].  

Sincerely,
[Parent]

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the guidance. I'm being told my son (class of 2017) cannot refuse the PBA. any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy, were you given any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. SB 880 passed today. The grad requirement is delayed until the class of 2019. He can opt out of the Keystones and no PBA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, is opting out of the PSSA any different when your child is enrolled in a public cyber school?

    ReplyDelete